SHORT STORY UNIT: SCARY AND SURPRISING STORIES - DIGITAL PRINT BUNDLE
Use this creepy, freaky, and spooky digital short stories unit to engage your students in reading and writing. This is the perfect unit to use around Halloween, but it can be used at any point in the year!
This is a digital and print bundle which means that there are PDF and Powerpoint files for your traditional classroom use, and also digital, paperless versions for use on a device. The digital resources are Google compatible and students complete all the work on the computer. This works well with distance learning, 1:1 classrooms, remote teaching, Google Classroom, or online education.
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE:
A SOUND OF THUNDER BY RAY BRADBURY
Send your students back in time to hunt dinosaurs with Ray Bradbury’s short story, "A Sound of Thunder".
• Question slides and print assignment for students (includes 3 basic comprehension questions and 5 analysis questions).
• Detailed answer key for questions
• Descriptive writing pre-planning slide and print assignment
A full text of the story is not included for copyright reasons. Search “A Sound of Thunder Full Text” on an Internet search engine to find the short story if you do not have a copy.
THE OPEN WINDOW BY SAKI
Enter Vera's mischievous world of ghost stories with the short story, "The Open Window", by Saki.
• A pre-reading vocabulary in context digital and print assignment that gives students the background knowledge they need to understand the story.
• A digital and print plot diagram assignment where students outline the story according to the plot diagram.
• Analysis questions that allow students to dig deeper into the story to show their comprehension and analysis.
• A creative letter writing digital and print assignment where students take on the role of Mr. Nutell who writes a letter to his sister after he leaves Vera's house.
LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER BY ROALD DAHL
This short story has always, without fail, been a hit in every English class I have taught. The students love this story and never see the end coming!
→ A 26 slide Google Slides and PowerPoint presentation that guides you through all elements of the lesson including author biography, discussion questions, analysis (dramatic irony, theme, etc.), a video interpretation, and much more.
→ Digital and print analysis questions that allow students to show their understanding as well as dig deeper into analyzing the text. A teacher answer key is included.
→ A digital and print plot diagram assignment where students drag cards to the appropriate place on the plot diagram to reveal a mystery word.
→ A creative digital and print writing assignment where students take on the role of Mary Maloney and write diary entries at different points in the story.
→ A digital and print creative assignment where students take on the role of Jack Noonan and fill out a police report after visiting the Maloney household.
→ A 30 minute film version of the story with a comparison assignment.
***Due to copyright restrictions, I am unable to include the full text of the story. You can access the story in many textbooks, or you can search "Lamb To The Slaughter Full Text" in an Internet search engine to locate a printable copy of the story! ***
THE LANDLADY BY ROALD DAHL
Use Roald Dahl's creepy short story, "The Landlady" to get your middle/high school students in the Halloween spirit!
• A digital and print vocabulary activity that has students pair examples from the text with challenging terms to their definition to reveal a mystery word.
• A character analysis digital and print activity where students use text evidence to support character traits for the two main characters.
• A digital and print newspaper article writing assignment where students write a headline article for what happens to Billy after the story ends.
• A link to watch a film interpretation of the story.
*** Please note that due to copyright reasons, the full text of the story is NOT included. If you would like a copy of the story, you can search "The Landlady Full Text" in an internet search engine. ***
THE TELL TALE HEART BY EDGAR ALLAN POE
Introduce Edgar Allan Poe's most famous short story, with everything you need to teach "The Tell Tale Heart".
THE MONKEY'S PAW BY W.W. JACOBS
Be careful what you wish for! "The Monkey's Paw" by W.W. Jacobs is a mysterious and frightening tale that is sure to catch your students' attention.
• Questions and print assignment with 5 analysis questions that allow students to dig deeper into the text.
• A digital and print character analysis assignment using the "It Says, I Say, And So" method.
• A final creative assignment in digital and print where students finish the cliffhanger by writing an alternate ending to the spooky story.
THE LOTTERY BY SHIRLEY JACKSON
Have your students examine a horrifying tradition in Shirley Jackson’s "The Lottery".
→ Analysis questions slides and print assignment where students dig deeper into the story and show their comprehension and analysis. Teacher answer key included.
→ A symbolism digital and print activity that has students look at the significance of objects and names in the story. Teacher answer key included.
→ A link to a film interpretation of the story with a comparison assignment.
→ An assignment that has students explore and evaluate a tradition in their own life as a text-to-self connection to the story in digital and print.
→ A final digital and print creative project where students create a newspaper for this town with a variety of article types (Headline, obituary, letter to the editor etc.)
→ A rubric for marking the project.
© Presto Plans