READING CHALLENGE FULL YEAR PROGRAM ESCAPE CHALLENGES | PRINT VERSION
This full-year reading program will bring your reading instruction to life with 40 weeks of creative stories, instructional slides, and escape-room style challenges.
Raise your hand if you are tired of…
- Trying to find ways to improve students' reading and ELA skills in a way that engages all readers.
- Not having the time to meet all of your ELA reading standards throughout the school year.
- Hearing groans and grumbles from lack of student engagement in reading.
Teaching reading does not have to be this way!
Introducing The Reading Challenge Program
The Reading Challenge is full-year, 40-week grammar program for middle and high school English language arts teachers that includes instruction, narrative stories, and weekly escape-style challenges to improve student comprehension and analysis
What reading topics does it cover?
- Comprehension strategies
- Vocabulary in context
- Citing Text Evidence
- Fact vs. opinion
- Plot Structure
- Point of view
- Story elements
- Figurative language
- Flashback and flashforward
- Compare & contrast
- Cause & effect
- Problem & solution
- Descriptive text structure
- Nonfiction text structures
- Author's purpose
- Main idea
- Nonfiction text features
- Evaluating an argument
- Ethos, pathos, & logos
- Poetry comprehension
- Poetry Meter
- Poetry form & devices
How do each of the challenges work?
- Start by using the Powerpoint presentation to guide you through each element of the lesson and activity. The slides will help you teach the reading related concept, introduce the story and challenge, and review the answers.
- Read the narrative story as a class to hook students and introduce the challenge.
- Once you have taught the grammar concept, and read the story, students are ready to try the reading challenge!
- When students find the answer, you can share the conclusion slides to wrap up the story.
What is included in each of the 40 challenges?
- An original narrative backstory that puts students within the story and sets up the challenge
- A Powerpoint presentation to guide the lesson and activity with instructional slides, activity prompts, the narrative story text, story conclusion slides, and an answer keys for review
- An interactive escape-room style challenge where students must use their knowledge of the reading topic to complete the challenge.
© Presto Plans © Limitless Lessons