HATCHET UNIT PLAN DIGITAL / PRINT BUNDLE (USE WITH GOOGLE DRIVE OR PRINT)
This unit plan print and digital bundle for Hatchet by Gary Paulsen has everything you will need to teach the award-winning novel in a traditional or 1:1 classroom. With over 200 slides of eye-catching Google Slides, Powerpoints digital and print assignments, questions, vocabulary, and interactive class activities, you will have everything you need!
This is a BUNDLE of both my digital and print unit plans for Hatchet. If you'd rather have one or the other, click the links below:
WHAT TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS UNIT
♥ Love this bundle. It is a fabulous resource. Whenever I am looking for a great and complete resource, I look at Presto Plans first!
♥ Such an awesome unit!!! I wish I had units like this for all the novels I do with my classes. You do GREAT work!!
♥ Thank you for saving me when I need a Unit plan! Awesome activities! Very engaging-A+++++
♥ This is great! Great activities with tons of choices for lessons.
♥ Absolutely loved this. One of the best units I have purchased on here. Students really dug deep with some of the questions!
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE:
The Google Slides and Powerpoint presentation includes fun pre-reading discussion, an author biography, a fun review quiz, genre, and background information on the novel.
CHAPTER SUMMARY CARDS
Includes digital and print cards that you can use for those students who struggle with reading comprehension. They can also be useful if a student is looking for a particular part of the plot. They can check the summary cards to find the correct chapter!
Also included is a digital blank version where students can type in their own summaries.
READING QUIZZES AND ANSWER KEYS
This resource includes 7 digital and print reading quizzes for the novel (Digital version uses Google Forms). They can be used as a quick check for students' understanding of the chapters.
Each of the reading quizzes include 6 multiple choice questions and two quotes from the chapters that students must respond to. For the quotes, students are required to explain what is happening at this particular part of the plot. A detailed answer key is included for each!
VOCABULARY IN CONTEXT
• A Google Slides and Powerpoint presentation explaining to students how to determine the meaning of an unknown word using context (using synonyms, antonyms, examples, general meaning)
• Hatchet Vocabulary Digital and Print Response Sheets for students with quotes from the novel that use challenging vocabulary. Students use context to determine the meaning of the bolded word. There is also a place for the actual definition to be inserted where students can look up the words, or you can go over them as a class
• A 36 slide Google Slides and Powerpoint presentation to go over each of the vocabulary words with definitions for students to easily understand the new terms
READING QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
• Reading Questions (Google Doc and PDF) that includes basic comprehension questions and ‘Digging Deeper’ questions.
• A Google Slides and Powerpoint presentation that includes all the answers to the questions for easy review with the whole class.
VIDEO JOURNAL PROMPTS
Access to YouTube is required.
Included are 7 video journal prompt digital response sheets, Powerpoint Slides, and a print response sheet. Students watch a brief clip, and then complete a journal based on a prompt. The prompts and videos connect in someway with the content from different chapters in the novel.
29 slide Google Slides and Powerpoint presentation the most important aspects of the novel organized by chapter groups. The notes address characterization, theme, setting, and much more! Your students will have a deeper understanding of the novel after you use this resource!
Post Plane Crash Planning Activity – Students work in groups to problem solve what Brian could do with the items he finds in his pockets after the crash.
Brian Character Development Activity – Students analyze how Brian has changed over the course of the novel.
The Survival Pack Activity – Students brainstorm what they think will be included in the survival pack providing reasons for their choices.
Character Interview Role-Play Activity – Students interview Brian after he is rescued and act out the interview in front of the class.
POST-READING ASSIGNMENTS AND PROJECTS
- A Cry In The Wild / Hatchet Movie Novel Comparison
- A Cry In The Wild Movie Review
- Plot Diagram with answer key
ESSAY WRITING RESOURCES
• Hatchet essay topics for students to choose from (Google Doc)
• 2 Digital and Print essay graphic organizers
• Print MLA booklet for student reference (8th Edition)
© Presto Plans