DIGITAL SHORT STORY UNIT PLAN | GOOGLE DISTANCE LEARNING
This digital short story unit is perfect for any late middle or high school English classroom. The stories have been used in my class with great success, and the students especially love the surprising endings in each story! These digital products include eye-catching Google Slides presentations, discussions, videos, and interactive, creative assessments.
This is a Google resource and students complete all the work on the computer. This works well with distance learning, 1:1 classrooms, remote teaching, Google Classroom, or online education.
All presentation files are in Google Slides format. Links require the use of youtube.com.
WHAT TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE PRINT UNIT
♥ By far one of my best TPT purchases. Use again every year and always look forward to seeing students reactions to the stories! Especially when they write their own creepy short stories!
♥ Great Plans!! I love how comprehensive the entire unit is!
♥ AMAZING! Needed something on a time-crunch, and this is perfect! Thank you!
♥ Amazing Unit!! Contains all the power points, comprehension questions and engaging activities! The stories are so intriguing as well!
♥ My only regret is not finding this sooner. Awesome resource. Thank you!
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE:
INTRODUCTION TO SHORT STORIES RESOURCES:
A Google Slides presentation which reviews all of the literary devices (also includes some review questions for formative assessment).
The presentation covers the following terms:
→ Plot Diagram (all elements covered)
→ Conflict (4 types)
→ Point of View (First, Third & Omniscient)
→ Irony (3 types)
- A fill in the blank Google Doc that the students can use to take notes from the presentation
- An interactive review game called "Who Wants To Be A Literary Terms Expert"
- Student response slide for the game so all students can participate
- A Google Forms quiz based off the notes given in class (answer key included)
LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER B ROALD DAHL:
• Google Slides presentation which easily guides you through the lesson (notes, questions, discussion etc).
- Assignments included in the presentation with Google Slides for students
• Video of a cinematic interpretation of the story
THE CHASER BY JOHN COLLIER:
- A Google Slides presentation that guides the lesson with discussion points and question/assignment prompts
• Digital prediction card
• Show What You Know digital assignment that includes 4 post reading questions (answers are provided in the presentation to go over with students)
• Abby and Andrew's Advice Column digital Assignment which allows the student to give advice to the main character from a male and female perspective
THE LOTTERY BY SHIRLEY JACKSON:
• A 24 slide Google Slide presentation that includes the following:
→ An overview of North American traditions that are blindly followed
→ Discussion Questions for pre-reading
→ Biographical information about Shirley Jackson
→ Post reading discussion points
→ 5 Questions for students to answer (question slide and answers provided)
→ Notes on themes and symbolism in the short story
→ A 20 minute video of The Lottery (link provided)
• A creative project with student slides and graphic organizers for students to complete
• Digital templates students can use to complete the assignment
• An interactive rubric for marking the project.
THE TELL TALE HEART BY EDGAR ALLAN POE:
• A 24 slide Google Slide presentation that will guide you through the entire lesson!
• Links to two videos which relate to the story
• The Google Slides full text of the story with space made on the side for note-taking and predictions
• Various interactive slides and activities including:
→ Tell Tale Heart Literary Terms
→ Tell Tale Heart Vocabulary
→ Tell Tale Heart Comprehension Questions
→ Prequel Or Sequel Writing Exercise
→ The Tell Tale Police Report
ESSAY WRITING RESOURCES:
• A Google Doc containing essay topics that give students some flexibility in choosing a thesis statement
• Interactive graphic organizers and checklists for pre and post writing
• MLA Style Guide digital Reference
© Presto Plans