The Giver Escape Room Novel Activity - Breakout Review for Lois Lowry's Novel
The Giver Escape Room Novel Activity is a fun and engaging way to have your students review the most important elements of The Giver by Lois Lowry. Students will visit stations and complete puzzles and challenges related to the plot diagram, characterization, story elements, and vocabulary in the novel. This highly-engaging, interactive escape room for The Giver will not only be the perfect ending activity for the novel, but it will also review and check their understanding of the text.
How The Giver Escape Room Activity Works:
Students work in small groups and move about the classroom to five different stations to complete puzzles and activities related to the novel. The goal of the escape room is to help Jonas escape the community, arrive at Elsewhere, and save Gabriel!
- The Plot Diagram Station: Students will gain access to Jonas' father's bike by ordering plot cards according to the plot diagram to determine a numeric code.
- The Characterization Station: Students will hide from the thermal detecting plane by matching up quotes from The Giver to the characters who said them and use the information they gather to reveal a secret code word.
- The Analysis Station: Students will find food (fish and berries) for Jonas and Gabriel by completing a multiple-choice analysis assignment about story elements to reveal a mystery word.
- The Vocabulary Station: Students will transmit the memory of sunshine to save Gabriel from the cold by matching up new vocabulary words from examples in The Giver to their proper definitions (using context clues). Once they have matched them up correctly, it will reveal a mystery word.
- The Encryption Station: Students will find the red sled and slide into Elsewhere by decoding an encrypted message based on hidden symbols they have to find throughout The Giver escape room to reveal a quote from the novel.
Please note that students will need to have completed the novel to complete this activity.
Included in The Giver Escape Room Activity:
➡️ Teacher Instructions: These detailed teacher instructions will help you facilitate The Giver escape room in your classroom. With step-by-step instructions, you'll feel totally confident implementing this breakout.
➡️ Classroom Poster: Welcome students and build anticipation by putting this poster on your classroom door as they enter. The poster reads, "The Giver Escape Room."
➡️ Station Signs: Use these signs at each of the five stations, so students can easily keep track of which ones they have completed.
➡️ Station Story and Instruction Cards: Each of the five tasks come with a story card with quotes from the novel to share their goal for that station. Also included are instruction cards, so students know what to do to solve each task related to the novel.
➡️ Escape Room Station Materials: Included are all the materials that you need to set up each station, including envelope templates, plot cards, character cards, an analysis multiple-choice assignment, a vocabulary puzzle, and an encryption assignment.
➡️ The Giver Escape Room Answer Booklet: Students will use this booklet to record each of the codes and keys they find at each station. An answer key is provided.
➡️ Reflection and Response Assignments: Included are two reflection assignments that students can complete after the breakout. One is a reflection on the quote revealed in the final puzzle and the other is a reflection on the escape room activity.
What Teachers Are Saying About The Giver Escape Room:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This was by far the number one most loved thing I did with my students during summer school. I saw them laughing and working together and getting very intense about their work. I had 100% participation during this, which is rare for ninth grade. I can completely recommend this for anyone who wants to watch their classes come alive after reading The Giver.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This was an amazing way to end our study of the novel. All of the students were working together and completely engaged throughout the activity.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This is the perfect tool to wrap up a novel study on The Giver! Not only does it pull back on content knowledge from the plot, but it touches on many elements of fiction - the dream resource for any teacher hoping to see their students master a variety of skills in a fun and interactive way!
>>>Teaching The Giver? Grab our best-selling unit plan below!
© Presto Plans
➡️ Want 10 free ELA resources sent to your inbox? Click here!
Created using the Escape Room Template Kit by Nouvelle ELA