Poetry Analysis Assignments - Poetry Analysis Questions, Answer Keys, and Slides
These poetry analysis assignments are an excellent addition to any poetry unit. Included are six poetry assignments with comprehension and analysis questions for poems your students will love. Included are poetry analysis questions that focus on comprehension, theme, tone, figurative language, text connections, and much more. Answer keys for the poetry analysis questions are provided along with a slideshow to easily review answers with students.
Students will analyze "Introduction to Poetry" by Billy Collins, "Dreams" by Langston Hughes, "To Christine" by Susan Forde, "Two Prisoners" by Raymond Souster, "The Execution" by Alden Nowlan, and "Nonconformist" by Angela Shelf Medearis.
These are also great assignments to leave with a substitute teacher!
- Six assignment pages for each of the poems with poetry analysis questions that will require students to find text evidence, make inferences, form text connections, and much more!
- Detailed teacher answer keys that make grading or class review quick and easy. The answer keys also include text evidence for support.
- A slideshow to review the poetry analysis questions with students and share a model response.
- Introduction To Poetry by Billy Collins
- Dreams by Langston Hughes
- To Christine by Susan Forde
- The Execution by Alden Nowlan
- Two Prisoners by Raymond Souster
Nonconformist by Angela Shelf Medearis
*Please note that for copyright reasons the poems are not included, but links to the texts are provided*
These poetry analysis assignments allow students to use a variety of ELA and poetry-specific skills and standards. Below you will find a list of some of the skills this resource addresses:
- Locating and analyzing literary devices (metaphor, personification, allusion, symbolism, etc.)
- Interpreting poetic theme
- Considering the author's purpose and tone
- Making text connections
- Examining and analyzing specific lines of poetry and considering how they relate to the meaning of the poem or its theme
- Considering different connotations of vocabulary
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This is a great resource for poetry. It saved me so much time and all my kids were able to complete the handouts without much help from me (I used it as a chance to improve test grades). A great variety of poems in topics and difficulty.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Excellent assignments for test review. Using these with my "upper level" students and they appreciate not having to do boring passages. Very straight and to the point. Thank you!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This was excellent for walking students through a close reading and analysis of poetry. The poem choice was excellent for comparative purposes to link thematically.
>>>Save by purchasing this poetry analysis assignments resource in a bundle:
Pair these poetry analysis assignments with our poetry annotation guide:
© Presto Plans
➡️ Want 10 free ELA resources sent to your inbox? Click here!