OUTSIDERS ACTIVITY: SOCS AND GREASERS
Use this class activity for The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton to engage your students in exploring the similarities and differences between the Socs and Greasers! This is intended for use after Chapter 9 - 10, but could be used at any point in the novel.
HOW IT WORKS
Students will enter the classroom to a poster that reads "Socs Vs Greasers". After being split up into their 'gangs' they will complete a group activity which exposes the similar hatred that each group feels for each other.
After sharing with the class, they will do another similarities/ differences activity that will expose the significant similarities between the groups.
To close the activity, students will receive 'quotation discussion cards' that include quotes from the novel which explore the idea that these two rival gangs are not as different as they seem!
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE
• Detailed teacher instructions
• Poster for the door to welcome students to the lesson
• "Gang Labels" for the first activity
• 2 Group Assignment Worksheets for each gang (exposes the hatred of both groups)
• Similarities and Differences Worksheet (with answer key)
• Quotation Cards For Discussion
WHAT TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS ACTIVITY
♥ This resource made my life so much easier! Students found it an engaging activity.
♥ Amazing activity. I will use this every year!
♥ Students had a blast with this! Thank you!
© Presto Plans