Poetry Song Lyrics Assignment - Music Poetry Final Project Soundtrack Of My Life
Use this poetry song lyrics assignment to help your students see the connection between song lyrics and poetry. The Soundtrack Of My Life assignment allows students to make connections between their own lives and the lyrics of the songs they love and to analyze song lyrics as poetry. Even those students who find poetry challenging will be able to connect to this assignment.
➡️ A PowerPoint presentation that will introduce students to each element of the poetry song lyrics assignment. The presentation includes discussion questions, information about the two parts of the project, and rubric information to show what a strong response includes.
➡️ Detailed student instructions for completing both sections of the assignment.
- The first section has students make text-to-self connections between the lyrics of three songs and their own life (to design the soundtrack of their life).
- The second section has students examine one of the songs in more detail using poetry analysis techniques. They will summarize the poem, examine the theme, locate literary devices, and consider who might connect to these lyrics.
➡️ A brainstorming page with prompts that will help students choose the three songs they want to highlight on their soundtrack
➡️ Two good copy graphic organizers for both sections of the assignment where they will share their text-to-self connections and poetry song analysis
➡️ An easy-to-use teacher rubric that makes grading the poetry song lyrics assignment quick and easy
This resource allows students to use a variety of ELA and poetry-specific skills and standards. Below you will find a list of some of the skills this resource addresses:
- Text-to-Self Connections
- Summarizing and paraphrasing
- Locating and analyzing literary devices (metaphor, simile, imagery, personification, hyperbole, oxymoron, allusion, alliteration, etc.)
Examining poetic form (stanzas, meter, rhyme scheme, etc.)
- Interpreting poetic theme
- Considering audience and purpose
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I used this resource as an 8th grade ELAR project at the end of our poetry review. My students were engaged and extremely insightful in their analyzations. Perfect way to connect the real world with poetry and get my 8th graders to think a bit deeper about their preferences in music.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I am using this activity as a way to prepare my students for their final. I wanted to make an EOY final that was fun as well as rigorous and standards aligned. This was the perfect activity for them to practice with. My students are enjoying this so much!!!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ My students enjoyed using this resource. They were excited about this activity and engaged the entire time.
>>>Save by purchasing this resource in one of the bundles listed below:
Pair this poetry writing booklet with our poetry annotation guide:
© Presto Plans
➡️ Want 10 free ELA resources sent to your inbox? Click here!