Poetry Writing Activity - Refrigerator Poetry Hands-On Writing - Magnetic Poem
Refrigerator poetry is a creative poetry writing activity that will engage all your students during your poetry unit! Refrigerator poetry comes from the small magnetic poetry words you might have seen on refrigerators that can be arranged to form a poem. Students use words from various parts of speech to create their own poems (no magnets required). Refrigerator poetry can teach vocabulary, independent thinking, imaginative personal expression, parts of speech, word choice, sensory detail, and phrasing!
➡️ A 10-slide Powerpoint presentation that will guide you through all elements of the lesson. The slideshow includes:
- What is refrigerator poetry?
- The benefits of this poetry writing activity
- Poetry writing activity instructions
- Examples of refrigerator poems (displayed on a fridge door where the letters look like magnetic poetry tiles)
➡️ Detailed Teacher Instructions: Use the teacher instructions to help you implement this poetry writing activity successfully in your classroom!
➡️ Refrigerator Poetry Word Bank: Students will use the included eight pages of words that are organized by part of speech to write their refrigerator poems (nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, pronouns, articles, verb endings). The words are color-coded, so you can keep the parts of speech separate and give a variety of word types to each group.
➡️ Parts of Speech Labels: Color-coded labels for each of the parts of speech are included. These can be attached to small individual plastic bags, baskets, or jars to keep the word types separated.
➡️ Refrigerator Door Good Copy Template: Once students have completed their poems, they will attach each of the words to the blank refrigerator door template. This will make the words appear like magnetic poetry cards on a fridge door which looks great on display.
➡️ Refrigerator Poetry Poster: These poems look great on display, so use the included poster as a header on your bulletin board to display your students' refrigerator poetry underneath.
➡️ Black and White Option: If you would rather not use the color-coded system, a black and white option has been provided for all resources!
- Students will be grouped, and each group will be provided with words from each of the parts of speech containers.
- Students will form their refrigerator poetry from these words on the provided blank refrigerator template. If they get "stuck" they can exchange words with other groups. This is collaborative poetry writing activity!
- After peer review and editing, students will glue the words down onto their fridge page.
- Students will share their poems and display them on the classroom bulletin board underneath the included poster.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very creative and well put together. I used it as a poetry station at the end of the school year, and my students really enjoyed it.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Awesome! My students were so bored with poetry until I spent an afternoon using this...It was a hit!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I continue to use this every year, and absolutely love it! Fun activity as our introduction to poetry.
>>>Save by purchasing this resource one of the following bundles
If your students like this, they will love this poetry writing activity:
© Presto Plans
➡️ Want 10 free ELA resources sent to your inbox? Click here!