The Outsiders Introduction Presentation - Discussion, Hinton Biography, Context
The Outsiders introduction presentation includes absolutely everything you need to introduce the novel The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton to your students. This interactive PowerPoint presentation includes pre-reading discussion questions, an interactive class activity, a biography of S.E. Hinton, a fun review quiz, and historical context of the 1960s (when the novel is set), and background information on the novel.
➡️ This 22-slide PowerPoint presentation is the perfect way of introducing The Outsiders to your students. The slide will provide students with the background information they need before they begin reading. Included in the presentation:
- Pre-reading group discussion questions to help students make text-to-self connections.
- First Impressions class activity prompt where students examine images and make first impressions based on physical appearance alone.
- Agree or Disagree class activity where students stand or sit based on if they agree or disagree with prompts that relate to themes that emerge in The Outsiders.
- A detailed biography of S.E. Hinton, author of The Outsiders.
- A quiz within the slideshow about Hinton to check student attention and comprehension.
- Background information on the novel.
- Historical context information
- An introduction to 1960s slang that students will encounter in the novel like fuzz, heater, cooler, JD, broad, and rumble.
Use this presentation as a way of introducing The Outsiders intentionally to prepare students for reading. Students will be provided opportunities for classroom discussion, forming and justifying an opinion, and understanding important contexts (historical, language, author).
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This was a great Powerpoint used to introduce students to The Outsiders and the author. There were some opinion questions which engaged the students. The text was large enough for students to be able to read it from the back of the classroom. The terminology was great, the students loved guessing the answers.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I love being able to give students the background story before starting the book. They were excited before we even passed out the books! :)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ My students loved using this. I thought it was a great introduction and my students loved discussing the questions.
>>>This resource is included in my unit plan for the novel!
➡️ The Outsiders Complete Unit Plan
Take your unit for The Outsiders to the next level with an escape room!
© Presto Plans
Licensed graphics by Lydie Teresa Vion