DIGITAL WRITING CHALLENGE ACTIVITIES
The Digital Writing Challenge includes 20 Google compatible activities that allow students to explore a variety of writing types while improving their writing skills along the way.
This is a Google resource and students complete all the work on the computer. This works well with distance learning, 1:1 classrooms, remote teaching, Google Classroom, or online education.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Teachers open up the included “Writing Challenge” webpage board that includes 20 hidden activity prompts. The teacher clicks on the appropriate challenge number to reveal the hidden prompt. Then, they share the link for that challenge for students to complete on their device. These challenges are best used weekly or bi-weekly in a classroom setting, but if you are teaching online, they can work as daily activities as well.. Some activities may take 15 minutes, some may take half a class, while others my even take a full class or two (depending on how much you want students to write)!
Worried about printing in color? No problem. Everything included comes with black and white version!
WHAT KIND OF ACTIVITIES ARE INCLUDED?
There are 20 activities included. Below are a few of activities the a to give you an idea of the types of tasks included:
• Improve the word choice of a descriptive paragraph about being cold.
• Edit the grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors in celebrity social media posts.
• Write a Japanese Haiku.
• Teach us how to blow a bubble with gum. (Instructional writing)
• Improve an e-mail written to a teacher.
• Integrate 3 types of figurative language into a paragraph.
• Write a paragraph that shows rather than tells.
WHAT TYPES OF WRITING ARE COVERED?
• Descriptive Writing
• Persuasive Writing
• Review Writing
• Informative Writing
• Formal Writing
• E-Mail Writing
• Narrative Writing
• Poetry Writing
• Creative Writing
• Expository Writing
WHAT WRITING SKILLS ARE ADDRESSED?
• Using imagery and sensory details
• Improving word choice
• Using research to write
• Using emotion in writing
• How to inform in writing
• Tips for improving formal writing
• Writing organization
• Paragraph structure
• Following a writing formula
• Proper e-mail etiquette
• Showing vs. telling
• Editing (grammar, punctuation, and spelling)
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN MY PURCHASE?
• A link to a web-page where you can unveil the hidden challenge
• A printable board incase you want to post it in your classroom instead of using the web version.
• A teacher master list of the challenges in order.
• Links to each of the digital / Google activities. Simply share the link with students for them to make a copy in their own drive.
• 65 slides of everything students need to complete the activities (pre-writing planning slides, information slides, templates etc.)
© Presto Plans