Holes Escape Room Novel Activity - Breakout Review for Louis Sachar's Novel
Holes Escape Room Novel Activity is a fun and engaging way to have your students review the most important elements of Holes by Louis Sachar. Students will visit stations and complete puzzles and challenges related to the plot diagram, characterization, story elements, and vocabulary in the novel. This highly-engaging, interactive escape room for Holes will not only be the perfect ending activity for the novel, but it will also review and check their understanding of the text.
Students work in small groups and move about the classroom to five different stations to complete puzzles and activities related to the novel. The goal of the escape room is to help Stanley escape Camp Green Lake!
- The Plot Diagram Station: Students will dig their first hole after arriving at the camp by ordering plot cards according to the plot diagram to determine a numeric code.
- The Characterization Station: Students will dig up Kate Barlow's lipstick tube by matching up quotes from Holes to the characters who said them and use the information they gather to reveal a secret code word.
- The Analysis Station: Students will look for Zero after he has run away by completing a multiple-choice analysis assignment about story elements to reveal a mystery word.
- The Vocabulary Station: Students will carry Zero up the mountain by matching new vocabulary words from examples in Holes to their proper definitions (using context clues). Once they have matched them up correctly, it will reveal a mystery word.
- The Encryption Station: Finally, students will locate the suitcase with their name on it and escape the camp by decoding an encrypted message based on hidden symbols they find throughout the Holes escape room to reveal a quote from the novel.
Please note that students must have completed the novel before attempting the escape room. They should also have an understanding of the following: plot diagram, foreshadowing, irony, setting, metaphor, flashback, hyperbole, palindrome, and character types like flat, stock, dynamic, and static.
➡️ Teacher Instructions: These detailed teacher instructions will help you facilitate the Holes escape room in your classroom. With step-by-step instructions, you'll feel totally confident implementing this breakout.
➡️ Classroom Poster: Welcome students and build anticipation by putting this poster on your classroom door as they enter. The poster reads, "Escape Camp Green Lake."
➡️ Station Signs: Use these signs at each of the five stations, so students can easily keep track of which ones they have completed.
➡️ Station Story and Instruction Cards: Each of the five tasks come with a story card with quotes from the novel to share their goal for that station. Also included are instruction cards, so students know what to do to solve each task related to the novel.
➡️ Escape Room Station Materials: Included are all the materials you need to set up each station, including envelope templates, plot cards, character cards, an analysis multiple-choice assignment, a vocabulary puzzle, and an encryption assignment.
➡️ Holes Escape Room Answer Booklet: Students will use this booklet to record each of the codes and keys they find at each station. An answer key is provided.
➡️ Reflection and Response Assignments: Included are two reflection assignments that students can complete after the breakout. One is a reflection on the quote revealed in the final puzzle, and the other is a reflection on the escape room activity.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This was an extremely fun way to practice skills while incorporating elements of the plot. My students loved it, and they were fiercely competitive about it! :)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ My students loved using this resource! Thank you for making something that is easy to use and keeps the students engaged!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ My students enjoyed the various challenges put forth by this escape room! They enjoyed working their way through the stations and racing to be the first group finished! Thank you for a great activity!
>>>Teaching Holes? Grab our best-selling unit plan below!
© Presto Plans
➡️ Want 10 free ELA resources sent to your inbox?
Created using the Escape Room Template Kit by Nouvelle ELA